Learn to Defend Yourself!
Defend Yourself has classes for everyone, no matter what your age or ability. Whether you’re dealing with street harassment, going off to college, healing from abuse, or meeting any other challenge, we offer skills you can use.
Live life with more confidence, more safety, more freedom, + more fun!
Join us to learn how to prevent and avoid harassment, attack, and abuse; how to stop a threatening situation with words; and physical strikes to use against common attacks.
- All of our classes are tailored to the life situations and experiences of the students.
- All of our classes are open to people of all abilities: You don’t have to be an athlete or a martial artist to help yourself be safer. All of our classes are held in wheelchair accessible spaces. If there’s something else that would help you be able to participate, please let us know.
- All of our classes have limited sliding-scale spaces for those who can’t afford the full fee.
- And all of our classes are fun!
Empowerment Self-Defense Intensive
Who: Women, trans, and nonbinary people age 16 and up
When: Tuesdays, Jan. 29 to April 2, 6:30- 8:30 pm
Where: Potomac Massage Therapy Institute (PMTI), Silver Spring. One block from the Red Line, plenty of parking, wheelchair accessible.
Fee: Early registration until Jan. 10 = $325; Jan.11 and later = $380. Contact us if you can’t afford the full fee.
CLASS SIZE IS LIMITED. Register early if you want to be sure you get in.
Other things you might want to know: This is not a workout. This is not martial arts. You don’t have to be “in shape”: People of all abilities can do this. Also, the material is holistic: We spend about half the time on setting verbal limits and asking for what you want–things you can use in everyday life.
Questions? Contact email@example.com
We hope to see you there!
Get Empowered! A Self-Defense Happy Hour
Do you know what you’d do if someone rubbed up against you on the Metro? How about if a co-worker kept asking personal questions, or if harassers yelled at you on the street? We cover these and other situations.
You’ll find the power in your body and mind to practice boundary-setting as the foundation of self-defense, and effective strikes for a last resort.
Only 10 slots, so sign up now!
Who: Open to women, trans, and gender-nonconforming people age 16 and up
When: Wednesdays, 6:30 – 8 pm
- February 13, level 2. Have you taken a class with us before? Then, this class is for you! It will build off the skills that you already learned. It will be an opportunity to practice those skills, learn new physical skills, deepen your verbal self-defense practice, and learn new techniques you can use to intervene for someone else’s safety.
- March 13
- May 8
- July 10
- September 11
- November 13
Where: DC Center for the LGBT Community, corner of 14th and U NW (2000 14th St, #105).
How: $28. Contact us if you can’t afford the full fee.
On My Own: Independence Skills for Tweens with Defend Yourself
Parents: Is your child late elementary school or early middle school heading to school on their own? Walking alone or with other kids? Beginning to take public transit? Staying home alone for longer stretches?
In this workshop geared to the 8 to 12 year-old set, Defend Yourself will share skills that help them be logistically, mentally, and emotionally ready for these and other situations, as well as strategies for if something doesn’t go as planned.
Parents are encouraged to participate, and there will be a short parent session following the workshop.
Spend an afternoon with your tween helping them cultivate independence, critical thinking, and safety and give yourself some peace of mind.
Who: Open to tweens, ages 9-12, and their parents
When: Saturday, March 2, 2-4:30
Where: Willow Street Yoga in Takoma Park (2 blocks from the Red Line)
How: Register here.
Don’t see what you want?
Please sign up for our newsletter, and we’ll let you know when workshops are scheduled.
In the meantime, if you’d like some training in personal safety and self-protection skills, you can bring us to you! If you have any group (friends, neighborhood, workplace, book group, club/team, etc.), we’ll customize a workshop to your needs.