About our classes
Defend Yourself has classes for everyone, no matter what your age or ability. Whether you’re dealing with street harassment, going off to college, healing from abuse, or meeting any other challenge, we offer skills you can use.
Live life with more confidence, more safety, more freedom, + more fun!
Join us to learn how to prevent and avoid harassment, attack, and abuse; how to stop a threatening situation with words; and physical strikes to use against common attacks.
- All of our classes are tailored to the life situations and experiences of the students.
- All of our classes are open to people of all abilities: You don’t have to be an athlete or a martial artist to help yourself be safer. All of our classes are held in wheelchair-accessible spaces. If there’s something else that would help you be able to participate, please let us know.
- All of our classes have limited sliding-scale spaces for those who can’t afford the full fee.
- And all of our classes are fun!
If you sign up for a class and are unable to make it, we’ll give you a partial credit toward another class. We’re unable to make refunds.
Boundaries for the Pandemic (and the rest of life)
Boundaries are crucial to keeping ourselves safe physically and emotionally. During the pandemic, boundaries are more important than ever for several reasons, including that they can help stop the spread of the virus, and that they can help us deal with new situations — like being with the people we live with much more, or facing different kinds of demands at work.
Keeping physical distance and respecting our own needs help us and everyone else stay safe and healthy. Join us to learn:
- Why boundaries matter and why they’re hard to set,
- 5 simple steps to setting a boundary,
- How to get centered and grounded before you say what you need,
- 4 basic strategies to communicate a clear message, and
- Lots of practice!
Who: Open to all genders age 15 and up. Maximum enrollment is 35.
When: Pick a session below; the workshop is 1.5 hours long.
How: Fee is $20, $35, or $50. Please contact us if you can’t afford $20 or if you can give more than $50.
Please let us know when you register what accommodations you may need (such as ASL or Spanish interpretation) or email us.
By registering, you agree to hold confidential other peoples’ experiences and stories shared in the session. For safety reasons, no recording is allowed, and the session will be closed to entry 10 minutes after it starts.
7:00-8:30 pm EST
$20 minimum fee
Don’t see what you want?
Please sign up for our newsletter, and we’ll let you know when workshops are scheduled.
In the meantime, if you’d like some training in personal safety and self-protection skills, you can bring us to you! If you have any group (friends, neighborhood, workplace, faith group, club/team, etc.), we’ll customize a workshop to your needs – and we can do it online.