About our classes
Defend Yourself has classes for everyone, no matter what your age or ability. Whether you’re dealing with street harassment, going off to college, healing from abuse, or meeting any other challenge, we offer skills you can use. DURING THE PANDEMIC, ALL OF OUR WORKSHOPS ARE ONLINE.
Live life with more confidence, more safety, more freedom, + more fun!
Join us to learn how to prevent and avoid harassment, attack, and abuse; how to stop a threatening situation with words; and physical strikes to use against common attacks.
- All of our classes are tailored to the life situations and experiences of the students.
- All of our classes are open to people of all abilities: You don’t have to be an athlete or a martial artist to help yourself be safer. All of our classes are held in wheelchair-accessible spaces. If there’s something else that would help you be able to participate, please let us know.
- All of our classes have limited sliding-scale spaces for those who can’t afford the full fee.
- And all of our classes are fun!
If you sign up for a class and are unable to make it, we’ll give you a partial credit toward another class. We’re unable to make refunds.
Be the Change: Skills for Interrupting Hate
Interrupting hate and other problematic behaviors is a concrete way to create change. But it’s not always easy to do.
If you’ve seen or heard harassment, microaggressions, or worse, you may have wished there was more you could have said or done. Even if it’s just a friend making a “joke” about a group of people.
In our Interrupting Hate workshop, you’ll learn:
- How to tell if someone’s being harassed
- How to assess if it’s safe for you to step in and help
- How to safely bring the temperature down when a situation is heating up
- 5 steps to take to help get someone out of harm’s way
- What to say if you hear someone saying something hateful—or otherwise oppressive.
Who: For everyone age 14 and up
What: 2.5 hours of interactive learning with practical exercises based on real-life situations in a small group
When: Sat., November 13, 2 – 4:30 pm Eastern
Where: 100% virtual via Zoom
How: $60 per person. Please let us know what accommodations you need (such as ASL or Spanish interpretation) when you register, or email us.
Slots are limited, so register soon!
Don’t see what you want?
Please sign up for our newsletter, and we’ll let you know when workshops are scheduled.
In the meantime, if you’d like some training in personal safety and self-protection skills, you can bring us to you! If you have any group (friends, neighborhood, workplace, faith group, club/team, etc.), we’ll customize a workshop to your needs – and we can do it online.